Tuesday 27 September 2011

Great Tit









The humble Great Tit is an often overlooked subject when it comes to wildlife
photography, we always seen to concentrate on the more glamorous species like
Kingfishers, Barn Owls, Stoats etc; well I know I do. So here are a few shots
of the common, but no less beautiful Great Tit.

Shame about the rings, but the little wood I do all my small bird photography
is hammered by ringers, I'm not sure why these guys have to keep ringing each
and every bird, if they were migratory then I could understand it but they're
not.

Thanks for dropping by

Until next time

Andy...

6 comments:

  1. Send us some barn owls and I will send a few crested, coal and willow tits over ;) They are still wonderful subjects, nicely captured.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots, Andy - the second shot is a corker!
    A lot of these ringers seem to do it without purpose and necessity, it's just a hobby for them on a Sunday morning and yields no benefit to the study of a species, it just unduly stresses the birds. Fingers crossed that with the advances they're making in miniature tracking devices that have been used on nightingales and cuckoos this year, recreational ringing will become a thing of the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful poses, especially in 2 and 4 and the colours of the beautiful bird are gorgeous against the warm background. Such enjoyable images to view. I agree Andy, this is a beautiful species and it gives me lots of pleasure in my garden. I'm a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very nice shots Andy, lovely light and warm colours.

    I've also had my suspicions about the usefulness of some of the ringing that goes on. Like you say, you can understand it if for migratory birds but surely we already have a pretty good understanding of the behaviour of Great Tits?!

    Matt

    ReplyDelete